This is a professional level translator training program designed for people who already have advanced bilingual skills and want to learn to translate special purpose texts.
This qualification requires the completion of the following:
PSPTIS101 Negotiate translating and interpreting assignments
CUAWRT401 Edit Texts
PSPTIS06 Analyse text types for translation of special purpose texts (LOTE-English)
PSPTIS061 Quality assure translations
PSPTIS100 Apply codes and standards to professional judgement
PSPTIS062 Translate special purpose texts from English to LOTE
PSPTIS072 Use translation technology
PSPTIS069 Maintain and enhance professional practice
PSPTIS071 Translate multimedia source material
PSPTIS070 Prepare translated transcripts
PSPTIS068 Demonstrate complex written English language proficiency in different subjects and cultural contexts
PSPTIS067 Demonstrate complex written LOTE language proficiency in different subjects and cultural contexts
PSPTIS064 Read and analyse special purpose English texts to be translated
Course Entrance Requirements
• IELTS 6.0 – no band less than 6 or equivalent
• Complete a pre-training assessment for language, literacy and numeracy skills
• Must be 15 years or over
• Permanent resident or temporary protection/visitor visa holder from non-English speaking background.
Course Duration & Delivery
Duration: Part-time 1 year, Full-time 6 months.
You will participate in class learning activities including:
• translation projects
• translation reviews
• group discussions
• pair and individual work
• simulations of real-life job assignments
• computer-aided translation.
Assessment may include:
• written work such as quizzes, assessment reports and reflective journals
• delivery of research/project presentations
• practical demonstrations in translation labs
• translation tasks
• minor typesetting and formatting of translations.
All units are delivered in English and some units may have bilingual activities and assessment tasks.